Saturday, April 12, 2014

AGAINST ‘COMMUNIFYING’

Letters:-
The poll campaigning has come to an end; so have presumptions and assumptions. The last few weeks made most of us political analysts and experts. We made tall claims, gave hints, argued, discussed and tried to lobby for this party or that. Social media has been a major facilitator for expressing our views, ideas and opinions. But what compelled me to write this letter was an incident that somebody I know narrated on Facebook. A co-passenger presumed that the lad was going to vote for XYZ just because he is from that community. The young boy writes: “Every Community is all above Politics. Community sentiments and affiliation is an innate human behaviour but I am educated enough to understand and analyse things crucially. My title does not guarantee my vote at all nor it does to anyone I truly believe. To support d political leader (any) is citizen's democratic right and no where title defines one's vote. If someone is a leader he/she is a leader of all people irrespective of caste, colour and creed. He is peoples man... Not the man of one single community but even if u feel so then my mom is Rai n dad is Tamang and  I love them equally so whom should I love or favour more??? ..so stop communifying  people for now.”
I quite liked the word ‘communifying’. But at the same time I am extremely worried as a Sikkimese. Have we really communified elections? It would be a big blow to democracy and its tenets if I or anybody for that matter opts for caste or community instead of peace and development.
When we leave the voting booth, we will leave our differences behind and remember what unites us.
Let’s in all fairness vote for a party that works for peace, prosperity, development and future of the Sikkimese people and not merely on lines of community or caste.

Jashoda Chettri, Gangtok [recvd on email]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers are invited to comment on, criticise, run down, even appreciate if they like something in this blog. Comments carrying abusive/ indecorous language and personal attacks, except when against the people working on this blog, will be deleted. It will be exciting for all to enjoy some earnest debates on this blog...