Monday, June 27, 2011

WHY ARE WE LIKE THIS ONLY?

Letter:
I am sorry I cannot reveal my name and address because I am one of the main accused for getting my motherland ‘Jorethang’ a bad name. Be it in contributing to its notoriety as a ‘Drug Den’, be it in the form of making it an unhealthy society where I dispose my household garbage in the heart of the town, be it in spreading viral diseases, be it in indulging myself in a blame game, be it in whitewashing the walls and then spitting on it, be it in sticking chewing gums and engraving dirty writings on bus seats and public toilet walls. The list is endless. Like me, everyone knows it is bad yet we keep doing it. Why?

Jorethang is no longer what she has been known for, rich in social life, united for the cause, Kala Bhumi etc. Happiness does not suffice happiness when there is internal threat to happiness….
Whenever there is an article in the newspaper about Jorethang, a huge chunk covers the negative attributes. People like me, citizens of Jorethang, read those headlines aloud and either blame the society or the authorities. However, I or my counterparts, never think of how we can get rid of those problems or of ways to overcome those problems.
Instead, I make a mockery of those problems and feel proud to be a part of the generation next. What a shame? When the society doesn’t know what is public and what is individual. Is this the essence of what we learnt in school or the gene passed down by our forefathers? Surely, our forefathers were far better than us.
The government is initiating infrastructure development, pouring in lots of scarce resources and incurring lots of expenses in maintaining these properties. On the other hand, the efforts of the government are offset by miscreants like me who are keeping silent, not understanding the value of it. That’s why I sometimes ask myself “are we really ready for what we are getting?” If yes, then why am I not acting even when my own motherland is being tainted? I was told that society is a mirror of our thoughts, words, and deeds. Is it not? Then why am I blaming society and everyone else? Society is not responsible for ignorance, gundaism and other anti-social activities.
Why am I not making any effort to set things right? Why can’t I, as a citizen of this place, take responsibility and try to take the first step to stand for the cause? To bring back the name and fame of our motherland....Jorethang. To clean up the dirt created by a few of us. Why can’t I rise and fight against those anti-social elements which are actually making Jorethang suffer.
If you also think on the same lines then come, let’s join hands to improve our society. We need to awaken from deep slumber and do something for the society!
[recvd on email]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers are invited to comment on, criticise, run down, even appreciate if they like something in this blog. Comments carrying abusive/ indecorous language and personal attacks, except when against the people working on this blog, will be deleted. It will be exciting for all to enjoy some earnest debates on this blog...