Sunday, August 28, 2011

14 kgs lighter, YT powers on in support of Anna

SAGAR CHHETRIGANGTOK, 26 Aug: Yong Tshering Lepcha has lost 14 kilos of his body weight as he completes a week of fasting in support of Anna Hazare here at the Fish Pond area opposite Paljor Stadium.
Mr Lepcha started the hunger strike on 20 August weighing 84 kg and saw his body weight drop most drastically in the first three days when he did not even take water. By the third day he had lost 12 kilos. Since then, he has lost two more kilos and now weighs 70 kg. Speaking to NOW! today, Mr Lepcha informed that doctors from STNM Hospital check on him twice everyday. He further informed that as per the doctors, his blood pressure is normal but the Kitone level in his blood has increased.
“Doctors have told me that if some complications are detected they will take me to the hospital but I have requested them to treat me here itself if something were to happen. I do not want to go to the hospital because that would affect my hunger strike,” he said.
When asked about the people’s response here to his expression of support for Anna Hazare, Mr Lepcha expressed his happiness on having received encouragement and support from all over the state with many people visiting him and still more contacting him over the phone with words of encouragement and support.
It has not all been rosy, however.
“It was however disheartening for me to learn that a section of the people allege that I have been taking food in the night. I have fasted for three days without even water and now I have completed seven days without food. It is unfair to dishonour my effort like this,” he expressed.
With a heavy heart, he stated that such elements had also tried to dissuade him from undertaking the hunger-strike when he had first announced his plans; and now, when they see that it’s going successful they are trying to stop him by spreading demoralizing canards.
“Only corrupt elements will try to stop the fast and if they do not believe me, then they are most welcome to sit here with me and check whether I am taking food or not,” he challenged.
He mentioned that a police team is with him 24 hours and doctors check on him on a regular basis, “so how could they level such false allegations?”
He is visited by the officials from District Administration [East] everyday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers are invited to comment on, criticise, run down, even appreciate if they like something in this blog. Comments carrying abusive/ indecorous language and personal attacks, except when against the people working on this blog, will be deleted. It will be exciting for all to enjoy some earnest debates on this blog...