Friday, September 14, 2012

Early detection saves lives


SEPTEMBER IS THYROID CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
Dr TSULTEM DOMA BHUTIA beat Thyroid Cancer because it was detected early enough. Recognizing that Thyroid cancer has had the fastest increase in incidence of all cancers in recent years, she shares her experience of the illness and explains what this strain of cancer is all about, underlining that increased public awareness could lead to early detections and save more lives…

Being a final year medical student, I had a tendency of reading about some disease and then fitting the symptoms in myself and worrying that I was affected by that disease. Anxious that I was turning into a hypochondriac, I forced myself to shake off the aforementioned habit. I was successful in doing so and by the time I joined my internship in October 2006, I was no longer worried about suffering from any illness of any kind.
Sometime in August 2007, however, while washing my face, I noticed a small swelling in my neck in the region of the thyroid. As had become my habit, I quickly pushed the thought away of it being anything significant. However everyday in the mirror I could see something staring back at me from the region of my neck and I did not feel like it belonged there. After a few weeks of fighting with my own thoughts, I casually mentioned it to my friend apprehensive that she would mock me and point out that I was becoming hypochondriacal again.
Today, I thank God for the sudden realization that I should get a second opinion about the presence of the swelling from my friend. I am also grateful to my friend who felt the swelling, did not make fun of me, and after a few days literally dragged me to the Surgery OPD to get myself checked by a surgeon.
Even when the surgeon confirmed the presence of a nodule and asked me to get a few tests done I still felt like it was nothing and that all the tests would only confirm that I was normal. The test reports came back as Thyroid Cancer. I underwent a surgery for removal of my thyroid gland on the last day of my internship in October 2007. After 6 weeks a scan was planned to see for any remaining cancer in my body. I received radioiodine therapy for the residual disease. Till that time all the people who knew me and my disease commented that I was taking things very well and not complaining about why it happened to me, but when I look in retrospect I realize I was in shock at that time, not fully comprehending what was happening to me. Only when the doctor told me that I would have to repeat a scan after 6 months to see for any recurrence did I realize that this was going to be a part of me always.
My surgery scar looked terrible and that was exactly how I was feeling. However because my cancer was detected early and was treated promptly, I was declared CANCER FREE after my second scan in May 2008. With the healing of my scar, which is barely visible now and the passage of time my mind is healing too from the shock. As a Cancer survivor I feel the need to spread awareness about this illness.
September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month, a worldwide observance initiated by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association. Thyroid cancer has had the fastest increase in incidence of any cancer in recent years. So it is apt that we know a little more about this problem.
The thyroid gland is a vital organ present in all human beings. It is a small, butterfly-shaped gland located in the lower front of the neck, above the collarbones, and below the voice box (larynx). Our thyroid gland makes hormones that help control the function of many of our body’s organs, including our heart, brain, liver, kidneys, and skin. Making sure that our thyroid gland is healthy is important to our body’s overall well-being.
Sometimes the thyroid gland undergoes malignant changes and develops cancer.Thyroid Cancer can occur in anyone right from childhood to old age, both in males and females. The symptoms may be a finding of a swelling in the region of the thyroid or the neck. Some people may also detect a change in their voice or difficulty in swallowing or breathing. However these findings may occur quite late in the course of the disease and not everybody can make out a swelling in their neckhence it is necessary that you get yourself screened by a doctor.
You can also do a self-check. It is an easy procedure in which you need a handheld mirror and a glass of water. Simply follow these steps.
1. Hold the mirror in your hand, focusing on thelower front area of your neck, above the collarbones, and below the voice box (larynx). Your thyroid gland is located in this area of your neck.
2. While focusing on this area in the mirror, tip your head back.
3. Take a drink of water and swallow.
4. As you swallow, look at your neck. Check for any bulges or protrusions in this area when you swallow. Reminder: Don’t confuse the Adam’s apple with the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is located further down on your neck, closer to the collarbone. You may want to repeat this process several times.
5. If you do see any bulges or protrusions in this area, see your physician. You may have an enlarged thyroid gland or a thyroid nodule that should be checked to determine whether further evaluation is needed.
It is important to understand that most thyroid nodules are benign and not cancer. However they need to be evaluated to confirm their benign nature. Thyroid cancer is of various kinds and its treatment is tailored to the type of cancer and the individual who is affected. Although when found early, thyroid cancer is usually treatable itis life-disrupting, expensive, and stressful for patients and loved ones.In addition, some thyroid cancer can be aggressive and difficult to treat.
Do you wonder sometimes what if you found a crack before the whole wall collapsed? What if you found a leak before the tyre went completely flat? It’s better to find it early and the same is true for cancer. Early detection saves lives. So does prompt treatment plus lifelong follow-up. So, find thyroid cancer early. Ask for a neck check next time you see your doctor. A neck check takes only a minute. Tell your doctor if you have had voice changes or difficulty breathing or swallowing. Your awareness of this rapidly increasing cancer can save your life as well as that of your loved ones. Spread the message. Be aware and find cancer early
[The writer is a pediatrician at Central Referral Hospital, Tadong]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers are invited to comment on, criticise, run down, even appreciate if they like something in this blog. Comments carrying abusive/ indecorous language and personal attacks, except when against the people working on this blog, will be deleted. It will be exciting for all to enjoy some earnest debates on this blog...